The Government of Lagos State has dismissed some of the conclusions the EndSARS Judicial Panel recommended.
This was contained in the White Paper released by the State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso. The report reveals the state government stance, that of all the 32 recommendations the panel made, it accepted 11 and rejected (1) one and agreed on six with modifications. It added that 14 bids fall outside its powers and would be forwarded to the Federal government for consideration.
Recall that the panel presented to the government its findings and recommendations regarding the #EndSARS protest last year. The government had, however, demanded a white paper report following the submission.
According to the white paper released Tuesday, the state government said the “finding of nine deaths at LTG on 20th October 2020 is even more baffling because apart from listing out their names in tabular form at pages 297-298, the JPI offered no explanation regarding the circumstances of their death.”
The Lagos State government also said: “another substantial inconsistency in the JPI Report was the award of compensation to the one out of the alleged nine, listed as ‘deceased’ which showed that the JPI itself had doubts as to the death of eight other allegedly deceased persons on its list.”
The government also disagreed that no hospitals treated victims of gunshot wounds from Lekki tollgate on the night of the incidence.
The Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu had said the State deserves true healing after the protests. He stated this while speaking at State House, Alausa. The governor noted that his administration was committed to ending the ugly fate which the incident brought on the State, adding that the State faces the hard choice of restoring harmony or doing itself great harm, and urged Lagosians to join him return peace to the State.
Sanwo-Olu added that those who are fueling anarchy and suspicion should be rejected and stressed that his administration is ready to foster better communication between youths and the security operatives to settle issues before they become uncontrollable.
The governor also said he would be leading ‘A Walk for Peace’ in December to heal the land. He called on youths, members of the diplomatic corps, civil society groups, students and the media, as well as other stakeholders to join him in the walk.
He specifically called on Folarin Falana (Falz), Debo Adebayo (Mr Marcaroni), Dele Farotimi, Temitope Majekodunmi, Segun Awosanya (Segalinks), Adedotun (Just Detour), Seun Kuti, Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu and Commander of Rapid Response Squad (RRS), CSP Yinka Egbeyemi, and others to join him in the “historic march for our dear Lagos”.
He said: “Nobody will build this city for us. Let us show the world who we are. We are Lagosians, a people of great renown, driven by the irrepressible spirit of Lagos. It is a testimony to our strength and resilience as a people that, despite the enormous losses incurred by these terrible incidents, we have bounced back, with our economy as vibrant and virile as ever.
I have no doubt whatsoever that our prospects are as bright as ever, and the best lies ahead of Lagos State and Nigeria.