Los Angeles agrees to pay Kobe Bryant widow almost $29 million over shared crash images
Los Angeles County has agreed to pay Kobe Bryant’s widow nearly $29 million (£24 million) after police released graphic pictures of his fatal helicopter crash two years ago.
When the plane crashed in the LA area, Bryant, his daughter Gianna, and seven other people all died.
Vanessa Bryant sued, saying that first responders took pictures of his body parts to sell as “souvenirs.”
If you enjoy this story, please do not forget to check out our other news stories:
The settlement was called “fair and reasonable” by the lawyers for LA County.
Lawyers for the plaintiff said in a statement on Tuesday, “Today marks the successful culmination of Mrs. Bryant’s courageous battle to hold accountable those who engaged in this grotesque conduct.”
“She fought for her husband, her daughter, and all those in the community whose deceased family were treated with similar disrespect. We hope her victory at trial and this settlement will put an end to this practice.”
In a statement, Mira Hashmall, who was the lead trial attorney for Los Angeles County in the case, said that all lawsuits involving the crash and the county had been settled.
She said that the $28,850,000 settlement included the $16 million that Mrs. Bryant won in her lawsuit against Los Angeles County for invasion of privacy in August 2022.