Breaking: Embattled Adamawa REC Arrested

The embattled Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Adamawa State, Hudu Yunusa-Ari has been arrested by the police.

His arrest comes hours after his interview on BBC Hausa. Earlier, Empire had reported Yunusa-Ari’s appearance in an interview where he noted that he had nothing to do with either Binani or Fintiri, adding that the stories about the N2 billion bribe were social media hype.”

The suspended REC’s arrest has been confirmed in a statement by Force spokesman, Muyiwa Adejobi on Tuesday.

Adejobi said, “Barrister Ari, who was arrested by the Police Election Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation Team in Abuja on Tuesday 2nd May 2023, is currently in Police custody and is being grilled to ascertain the motives and motivations behind his alleged improper actions during the supplementary elections in Adamawa State.

“In addition, other officials and individuals culpable in the saga are being interrogated by the team.

“The Inspector-General of Police has given clear assurance that every individual involved/indicted in the matter will be apprehended and investigated in line with the provisions of the law for possible prosecution.

“The Inspector-General of Police has assured of the commitment of the Force to ensuring that justice is served in this case and that all guilty parties are brought to justice.”

“I will surely turn myself into the police. Before, there was no summon from the police but now there is one. I will soon come out from hiding,” the embattled REC had stated.

During the interview, Yunusa-Ari also said he never regretted announcing Aisha ‘Binani’ Dahiru of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the winner of the 2023 governorship election in the state.

Recall that after the suspended REC made the controversial announcement in the Adamawa state supplementary election, a thorough investigation into the electoral commissioner and the security forces present when the declaration was made was ordered by President Muhammad Buhari.

However, Yunusa-Ari ‘s whereabouts were unknown for more than two weeks before his Tuesday arrest, despite security agencies having been given the order to arrest and charge the embattled REC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *